Rant Back

Saturday 24 January 2009

Quote Me

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

The genius that was, Douglas Adams. Funny as hell with an unmatchable wit, his Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy books are some of my favourite books ever.

Due to laziness, here are some similar quotes, from atheists:

"Why believe in God? Just be good for goodness' sakes"
- The American Humanist Association's bus ad campaign

"There's probably no God. Not stop worrying and enjoy your life."
- British atheist bus ad campaign

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours"
- Stephen Roberts

"Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions"
- Blaise Pascal

"And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence"
- Bertrand Russell. A genius mathematician and philosopher.

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one"
- George Bernard Shaw (yes, I've used this point a few times)

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile."
- Kurt Vonnegut. I love his books. Amazing author

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."
- Anonymous. Yes, one of the major flaws of religion is its incapacity to be criticised and questioned.

"I have never talked to a Jesuit priest in my life. I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me. From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist."
"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."
- Both by Albert Einstein. Just to de-bunk the myth that Einstein believed in God.

"Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color."
- Don Hirschberg. I don't know who he is, but I agree.

"You know your god is man-made when he hates all the same people you do."
- Anonymous. Don't you think so?

"Theists think all gods but theirs are false. Atheists simply don't make an exception for the last one."
- Anonymous

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day;
Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish"

- Anonymous. Funny stuff.

"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Everytime we go to church we're just making him madder and madder."
- Homer Simpson. Who else? Replace church with mosque, and we get a localised quote.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes"
- Gene Roddenberry. Yes, the guy who made Star Trek.

"Man created God in his image : intolerant, sexist, homophobic and violent."
- I'm not sure by who.

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs"
- Anonymous

"I refuse to believe in a god that would send me to hell just for not believing in him."
- Bob Snuka

No comments:

Post a Comment